A common commitment towards Zero Pellet Loss
An international initiative
Operation Clean Sweep® (OCS) is an international programme designed to prevent the loss of plastic granules (pellets, flakes and powders) during handling by the various entities in the plastics value chain and their release into the environment.
First adopted in North America, the OCS programme is now implemented in Europe since 2015. The methodology included in this programme has already helped to implement effective corrective actions in many companies in the plastics industry worldwide.
The six commitments of OCS in Europe
By signing the European OCS pledge each pellet-handling company recognises the importance of preventing spillages into the environment and commits to the following six actions:
- Improve worksite set-up to prevent and address spills
- Create and publish internal procedures to achieve zero industrial plastic material loss
- Provide employee training and accountability for spill prevention, containment, clean-up and disposal
- Audit performance regularly
- Comply with all applicable state and local regulations governing industrial plastics containment
- Encourage partners (contractors, transporters, distributors, etc.) to pursue the same goals.